Further information and next steps
We are delighted you are considering applying! Here’s some more information you may need about the application process:
- All sections of your application need to be complete, including all online tests, by the deadline given
- Due to high volumes of applications, you may only apply for one apprenticeship programme. We would recommend for you to read about each apprenticeship scheme before applying as only your first application will be considered
- If you are successful with the initial application, you will be invited to complete a short video interview within a given timeframe
- Across all stages of the application process, if you fail to submit by the deadline, your application will be automatically withdrawn
Timelines for this recruitment process
- Initial applications open between 1st February – 3rd March but may close earlier if volumes are high
- If your initial application is successful, you will be invited to complete a video interview in March
- If your video interview is successful, you will be invited to a Virtual Assessment Centre which will take place in May
For more information about our Aircraft Maintenance Apprenticeship scheme click here: https://careers.ba.com/aircraft-maintenance-apprenticeshipOverview
Duration: 3 Years
Location: London Heathrow
Application Closing Date: 3rd March
Start Date: September 2022The Programme
You’ll work alongside, and learn from some incredibly talented engineers. Every day, you’ll develop your skills on real aircraft, in a real job. Over a series of placements, you’ll work on all our aircraft fleets, gaining the experience and know-how to help keep them in perfect working order. You’re going to be busy. Alongside comprehensive on-the-job training, you’ll be studying towards the qualifications you need to become one of our future aircraft maintenance technicians.
The initial induction to the business for this Apprenticeship will take place at our London Heathrow base. For the remainder of the first year, you will then be based off-site and living away from home which is where you will train and study towards your CAA Part-66 A Licence Modules, as well as a Level 2 Diploma in Aerospace and Aviation Engineering, City and Guilds 4605-2.
For years two and three, you will return to our Heathrow Base to work alongside our engineers with the potential to be placed in one of our UK operational bases. You’ll continue to study towards achieving a Level 3 Engineering Technician apprenticeship (Aircraft Maintenance Fitter/Technician – Fixed and Rotary Wing); and by completing a Level 3 Diploma in Aviation Maintenance (Development Competence).
We are looking for a minimum of five GCSE grades 9–4 (A*-C) or equivalent, which must include Science, English, and Maths (we accept predicted grades but they must be achieved by the apprenticeship start date). The Maths GCSE grade must be a minimum of Grade 6 (B). A strong communicator with an awareness of safety, a self-starter, and the ability to adapt to change. Above all, a genuine passion for engineering and aviation.
You are ineligible for the Apprenticeship if you hold, or are due to achieve, any of the following qualifications (please look out for experienced Engineer roles on our team instead).
– A C&G level 3 qualification in Aircraft Maintenance.
– An HNC/HND or degree in Engineering.
– Any EASA Part 66 A or B license modules.
– Level 2 NVQ in Performing Engineering Operations if achieved with aeronautical pathway/units.
What’s in it for you?
Looking to join our apprenticeship scheme? You won’t be disappointed. Recently being ranked #18 in the Rate My Apprenticeship Top 100 Apprentice Employers, we can’t wait to welcome you into the British Airways family.
We have many benefits for apprentices at British Airways, here are a handful to showcase the diversity of our apprentice community:
- Increase in salary after you have completed the first year of your apprenticeship, if completed in line with your development objectives
- Part of the British Airways apprentice network and community, with the opportunity to engage with apprentices from all schemes in the business and learn from former apprentices
- Involvement in our ambitious sustainability vision, volunteering an active role to champion specific community groups including LGBTQ+ ‘Flying Proud’ and black excellence ‘BeMe’
- Involvement in Community Investment programmes, taking part in fundraising challenges for partnership charities, supporting causes close to your heart
- Volunteering in schools and colleges sharing personal experiences to inspire, motivate and coach students and support their potential to gain employment in the industry we love
- Access to heavily discounted flights to globe trot, and a generous annual leave entitlement to turn your bucket list into reality