British Airways has been flying for over 100 years and our success has been driven by our team’s passion and drive for excellence. If you’re made of the same qualities as us, you could soon be part of the next chapter of our story.
Great journeys require first-class aircraft. That’s why our world-class engineering function is so important to the British Airways customer experience. In our team, you get to work in unrivalled facilities on one of the most diverse fleets around. Get ready to push your engineering skills to ensure our customers fly in the safest, most reliable aircraft in the skies.
In return for keeping our fleet at the forefront of the sector, you’ll receive great rewards and lots of scopes to develop your engineering skills and progress your career.
Change is in the air. Our maintenance department is evolving to open up a whole new world of possibilities and that includes greater flexibility on aircraft type ratings. This means we’ll provide you with all the training to certify our aircraft while you’re in your leadership role.
A time of investment and growth in our fleet, producing endless opportunities for our Engineers. We have a number of different aircraft you can work on. A320s, B777s, B787s, A350s and A380s. We continue to grow our fleet with more A350s and Boeing 787 Dreamliners on the way.
You’ll quickly discover that no two days are ever the same at BA. With 111 long-haul and 142 short-haul aircraft, the possibilities are endless. There are opportunities in both our line and hangar-based teams with a number of different shift patterns available. But most importantly, we’ll give you all the ownership and trust to do the best job you can, building your confidence and improving your decision-making skills with the support of a qualified team of mechanics and technicians.
A new era in engineering maintenance is here, and we’ll be looking to our licenced aircraft engineers to help us lead it. If you want to be part of the change, you’ve come to the right place.
About the role
You will deliver in two key areas:
- Leads maintenance activities including setting clear targets and expectations
- Develops and motivates your team to its full potential and scope to deliver departmental objectives
- Ensures team and individual compliance with appropriate company procedures, policies, legal and regulatory requirements
- Responsible for the successful completion of all allocated, planned and ad-hoc maintenance tasks. This is expected to be achieved through effective leadership, supervision of maintenance and efficient allocation of resources, equipment and assets
- Provides guidance for individual and team maintenance activities, ensuring compliance with safety, company procedures, regulatory and airmanship standards
- Ensures and supports effective communication
- Crafts a culture of continuous improvement in a production environment, in order to increase unit performance and colleague development
- Supports the development of a high-performance team and culture
- Mentoring the new talent that on our successful apprenticeship programme
- Responsible for remaining qualified and authorised on all aircraft types, vehicles and equipment applicable to the area
- Responsible for maintaining a safe working environment by adhering to quality, health, safety and environment regulations and housekeeping standards
- Conduct competency checks in accordance with British Airways quality procedures Carries out IT and documentary transactions as required, making full use of technology
- Expected to further own knowledge and skills base
Who you will work with
- Duty Shift Manager (your line manager), Satellite Engineers, all Production grades, Ramp/Base Planning, Engineering Control Centres and Technical Support Group (Part M)
You will need
- An Unrestricted EASA/CAA UK Part-66 Category B1 and/or B2 licence
- Successful candidates holding an EASA Part-66 Licence will be accepted but will be required to apply for a CAA Part-66 Licence prior to joining.
- For B1, hold a minimum of one type rating in the B1.1 Category (turbofan or turboprop)
- For B2, hold a minimum of one type rating in the B2 Category (fixed wing or rotary)
- Proven recent experience at certifying aircraft, 6 months within last 2 years
You will be
- Your success will be a combination of technical experience and leadership behaviours
- Problem-solving and acting on your own initiative are important so you can make timely and informed decisions with an ability to bring together and understand complex information
- The ability to interpret technical publications to make fact-based decisions in a challenging operational environment is key. To combine these capabilities with an innovative, flexible and adaptable approach
- Strong collaborative skills are needed as you manage a team
- Strong prioritisation, planning and organisation will mean you can deliver the British Airways operation on time
What we can offer you
- The overall package reflects your status in the maintenance department, the expertise and leadership you’ll bring, and encourage the team to deliver to their full potential.
- As a permanent employee of British Airways, you’ll also receive the full range of company benefits
- We offer an entry salary of £55,545 with the potential to rise to £56,700
- A variety of shift patterns are available to suit your work-life balance attracting competitive shift pay
Training and Development we can offer:
- Our specialist technical training facility at Heathrow is the venue for all our type course training
- We offer a wide range of industry-leading Part-147 / Part-145 training, which includes the latest Aircraft types, technological classrooms and simulators
- Access to a suite of personal and developmental professional training through our Global Learning Academy at Heathrow
At British Airways we offer a wide range of flexible benefits such as:
- A pension scheme with potential contributions of up to 16.5% (if you contribute 5% BA will contribute 11.5%)
- A flexible benefits scheme which gives you the option to buy a range of benefits such as private medical insurance, life assurance, and critical illness cover
- Discounted confirmed flights for friends and family on BA from the date of joining
- After six months in the role, access to standby flights (with eligibility for the Club cabin) for yourself and two nominees
- Discounted standby travel on other airlines in the Oneworld alliance
- Discounts on car hire, hotels, leisure activities, entertainment and many more
- Free parking at work and free parking at Heathrow whilst on holiday for up to two weeks at a time
This role is for London Gatwick