The role of a Safety & Certification Engineer is to be responsible for the safety, airworthiness, and certification activities in support of new products, upgrades and modifications to existing products, and in-service support thereafter. A primary focus of the role is achieving safe and fully certified product designs to meet the exacting requirements and standards of Ziegler Aerospace customers.
Duties and responsibilities
- Responsible for ensuring technical accuracy of Hazard Identification, Hazard Logs, Safety Assessments Reports, Certification Plans and other Airworthiness related documents are generated for a range of equipment and operational fields.
- Responsible for the mentoring other team members in the development of products using Safety Engineering Assurance practices.
- Responsible for ensuring that all projects conform to ‘As Low As Reasonably Practicable’ (ALARP) principles and best practice arrangements according to the relevant regulatory requirements.
- Responsible for ensuring the design is legally compliant and operable.
- Responsible for providing advice to design team on safety requirements and ensuring that an ALARP/Safe design is achieved.
- Act as the Project Manager regarding changes and updates to Safety Assessment requirements.
- Responsible for ensuring that all Design Qualification and Certification documentation, appropriate to the type of product, is prepared, delivered and implemented utilising best practice principals such that; required standards of safety, cost, quality and time commitments are met and that the documentation is Right First Time.
- Responsible for Identify and drive improvement initiatives on Safety Engineering and Certification processes to more effectively embed a culture of Safe Working Practices, building upon existing Processes, Procedures and Work Instructions.
- Support the wider team by Reviewing and Approving procedures for other Design Engineering teams as applicable.
- Responsible for the review reported failures, malfunction and defects as highlighted by the Quality department that may affect the safety and airworthiness of a product and determine any necessary action needed to be taken.
- Responsible for review of engineering designs and the development of substantiation data to demonstrate compliance with regulatory and customer requirements.
- Support the Engineering Manager by provide certification expertise and supporting documentation delivery as an active part of ensuring the final design be fully compliant with requisite certification and airworthiness requirements.
- Support the team by defining, progressing and facilitating test and analysis in support of compliance verification.
- Attend design maturity gate reviews and technical coordination meetings to provide the airworthiness and certification inputs and progress reports.
- Maintain technical competency and currency to be fully effective in role.
Skills and experience
- Demonstrate a solid understanding of Safety Engineering Principles and the ability to develop Safety documentation with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate a solid understanding of aerospace regulatory approvals pertinent to EASA and UK MoD standards
- Accountability and ownership.
- Sound knowledge of material characteristics, including but not limited to; flammability of materials would be desirable.
- Qualified to degree level in an Engineering discipline.
- Experience in Flight Equipment, Aerospace Equipment or general aircraft design.
- Completed suitable education/training of AS9100, EASA Part 21 Subpart G & J and UK MAA DAOS/DEFSTAN 0056
- FMEA / FMECA
- Participation in Contract and Design Reviews
- Maintenance, review and update of existing Safety Assessment Reports and Systems
- Must possess an in depth knowledge of UK MOD DAOS and EASA Part 21G&J approval requirements and be able to liaise with regulatory bodies.
- Maintain an un-compromised position towards Safety Engineering procedures to the requirements of the company’s UK CAA, EASA and DAOS Scope of Approval.
- Be acceptable to the regulatory authority.
- Ability to manage the creation of Safety Assessments within external contractors.
- Ability to proactively design, plan and carry out work.